Internship - Popular Science
Recurrent Ventures Inc. is an innovative digital media company that is challenging the media landscape with its proprietary approach. Its best-in-class brands like Popular Science, Domino, Outdoor Life, The Drive, Donut, Dwell, Task & Purpose and more, engage a combined audience of more than 60 million monthly visitors. Initially founded in 2018, the portfolio rapidly expanded and today we have more than 15 publishing brands across automotive, home, outdoors, science, technology, and military verticals. Recurrent Ventures is virtual first, with headquarters in Miami and offices in New York, San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.
Popular Science is seeking a part-time intern to join our remote newsroom for up to a twelve week period from September to October.
At PopSci, we love geeking out about breakthrough research and finding compelling science, tech, and DIY angles to mainstream topics. We’re authoritative without taking ourselves too seriously (it’s why we’ve stuck around for more than 150 years), and we like writing about weird animals as much as about the ongoing climate crisis.
To help us in this quest, PopSci hires part-time interns during the spring, summer, and fall. The relatively small staff and open atmosphere at our publication give interns access to all parts of the publication process. You will spend each week on a different desk (science, DIY, tech, gear, news, and social media) working with the editors in charge. You can also plan day-long reporting trips, attend media-only events, meet pros from our sister brands, and more. If you want to get involved with something, we can usually make it happen!
The deadline to apply for the Fall Internship is June 30. We are looking for a candidate who can commit to 20 hours per week for the duration of the internship period. There is some flexibility to the start and end dates. This is a remote position that pays $15.00 per hour.
- Writing for the website and quarterly PopSci+ issues, including embargoed studies, service guides, creative explainers, field-reported features, and gear roundups.
- Fact checking scripts and story drafts.
- Managing Wordpress CMS duties.
- Participating in big editorial brainstorms.
- Crafting social media posts.
- Pitching to be on our podcasts.
- Learning SEO best practices.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in or recently graduated from an accredited four year college or university program majoring in Journalism, English, or other related field.
- If currently enrolled, applicants must have completed at least two consecutive semesters of university coursework.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have authorization to work legally for any employer in the US.
- Harbors a passion for science reporting in the fields of health, technology, DIY, physics, climate, space, sustainability, and/or consumer goods, as well as a demonstrated interest in magazine, online, and/or multimedia journalism.
- Holds reliable access to the internet and a computer.
- Can be available during East Coast business hours.
Please include a one-page cover letter, a resume, and three to five writing samples in your application. If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hiring & Equal Opportunity Statement: Recurrent Ventures provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type with regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, color, religion, age, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic or affiliation protected by federal, state or local laws. With a number of our media brands reporting on the military, veterans’ affairs, and topics facing the active military community, we are very supportive of veterans’ activities and highly encourage this community to apply.