Editor In Chief, Popular Science
Popular Science, one of the oldest and most-respected publications in the US, is seeking an Editor-in-Chief to guide and elevate its award-winning science and tech journalism. With a 150-year legacy of deciphering the fast-changing worlds of science and technology for curious, everyday people, PopSci delights and informs its audience through daily news coverage on popsci.com, PopSci+ premium content, podcasts, and more.
The Editor-in-Chief will lead a small but dedicated team of journalists across our Science, Technology, DIY, News, and Gear verticals; collaborate with sales, marketing, commerce, licensing, SEO, and communications teams; and work closely with the General Manager of Recurrent Ventures’s Science, Tech, and Outdoor group to grow the brand and its footprint and revenue opportunities. The EIC will also be a key architect in expanding the PopSci+ membership platform, a content initiative to strengthen and grow subscribership—continuing the brand’s legacy of best-in-class science storytelling.
- Set and implement an editorial content strategy that balances growth with maintaining PopSci’s existing audience—both subscribers and popsci.com readers
- Oversee PopSci’s presence across its varied platforms, including social media, newsletter, and podcasts, cementing and maintaining a consistent voice and presence throughout
- Manage the PopSci content budget
- Oversee the continued buildout of the PopSci+ membership offering, including long-form features, recurring columns, and the creation and execution of additional member benefits and offerings
- Manage senior editorial leadership, and maintain an engaged virtual office culture
- Act as the primary point of contact for sales, SEO, marketing, PR, and licensing teams
- Represent PopSci at events, in the press, and beyond
- 10+ years editing experience, preferably in science or tech journalism
- 5+ years experience managing journalists
- A deep rolodex of science and tech journalists, including writers and editors
- A track record of taking ambitions editorial initiatives—from a long-form feature to a complex package—from idea to execution
- A history of mentorship and cultivating editorial talent
- Unimpeachable news judgment, and a strong code of journalistic ethics
- Comfort collaborating with sales and marketing leads on sponsored programs
- An idea fountain who’s as comfortable in a feature brainstorm as they are with a moonshot brand extension
- A creative thinker who’s able to deftly manage resources to achieve success
- A thoughtful strategist who can develop a sharp plan, but not be afraid to pivot
- An ace editor as dexterous on the line as they are delivering top edits
- A strong collaborator and manager who knows where and when to jump in to make work its best
The Benefits & Perks!
- Medical, dental, vision & life insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Remote - work from anywhere
- Parental leave up to 16-weeks
- Fitness reimbursement
- Monthly electronics stipend
- Matching 401k
- Equity package
Hiring & Equal Opportunity Statement
Recurrent Ventures provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. We recognize diverse teams make the strongest teams; we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
At Recurrent Ventures, we don’t just accept diversity-we celebrate it, learn from it, and we thrive on it. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills but most importantly, a team that represents our audience. We understand there is more for us to do than just getting you in the door. Our obsession with sustainability isn’t just about the environment, it’s about YOU and your career, too!
Please do your best to verify any correspondence and job offers have originated from a member of our recruiting (firstname.lastname@example.org) or human resources team.